Barney Jordaan is currently professor of management practice at Vlerick Bussines School. He holds a doctorate in law from Stellenbosch University, where he was professor of law until 1997 teaching employment, contract and intellectual property law. He thereafter taught negotiation at Stellenbosch University Business School and the Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town and European Faculty of Law. Aside from his academic involvement, he was co-founder and director of a consulting firm in South Africa specialising in negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution. His first serious encounter with negotiation was in the 1980’s in the tough field of collective bargaining. Since then he has been involved in assisting clients in both commercial and workplace negotiation for more than 30 years, working with blue chip South african as well as global organisations in the shipping, tobacco, consumer goods, retail, manufacturing and financial sectors. His many years of involvement in the teaching and practice of mediation has also given him particular insight into the mindsets, strategies and behaviours of negotiators, which he brings into his negotiation teaching and training. Internationally, he has worked with the World Bank Group, including the IFC. He is a certified mediator with the International Mediation Institute (The Hague) and accredited by both CEDR (UK) and the ADR Group (UK).
Experience in dispute resolution
- Trained as Independent Mediation Services of SA mediator 1987 and as arbitrator in 1989 and practicing as mediator and arbitrator ever since
- Part-time senior commissioner at the Commission for Conciliation Mediation and Arbitrator (CCMA) and several industry bargaining councils between 1996 and 1999. I co-trained the first commissioners of the CCMA in 1995
- Trained as civil and commercial mediator in 2008 by ADR Group (UK)
- IMI certification achieved in 2010 on basis of experience and user feedback
- At the ACDS, I co-train on the mediation programme with overseas partners, leading to international accreditation of successful trainees.
- Founding member of the Association of Universities for the promotion of mediation as an academic discipline (AUPMAD) based in Utrecht, Netherlands
- Board member of the African Mediation Association (AfMA)
- External consultant to the World Bank Group’s Office for Mediation Services, responsible for Southern Africa
- Nel P. Kirsten M. Swanepoel B. Erasmus B. Jordaan B.South African employment relations : theory and practice. Pretoria.
- Jordaan B.Stander U. 2016. Effective Workplace Solutions: Employment Law from a Business Perspective. Siber Ink.
- Schonewille M. Schonewille F. Jordaan B.The variegated landscape of mediation regulation. A compartive study of mediation regulation and practices in Europe and the world.
- Jordaan B.Cillie G. 2016. Building a collaborative workplace culture: a South African perspective. In: Euwema M. Munduate L. Elgobar P. Eds. Building Trust and Constructive Conflict Management in Organizations (pp. 151-168). Springer.
- Jordaan B.De Wulf G. 2016. Towards an integrated workplace mediation system: reflections on the South African experience. In: Bollen K. Euwema M. Munduate L. Eds. Advancing workplace mediation through integration of theory and practice Springer.
- Jordaan B.Power imbalances in mediation: how far should a mediator go?. In: Frerks G. Breukelaar M. Jongbloed A. Eds. Mediation en Macht
- Jordaan B.South Africa. In: Schonewille M. Schonewille F. Eds. The variegated landscape of mediation regulation. A compartive study of mediation regulation and practices in Europe and the world Eleven International Publishing.
- Jordaan B.Employment realities in emerging markets. In: Van Eeden D. Ed. The role of Chief Human Resources Officer in emerging markets
- Jordaan B.Negotiation Ethics. In: Ogunyemi K. Ed. Teaching Business Ethics Across the Management Curriculum – A Handbook for International Faculty Business Expert Press.